Friday, April 29, 2011

A Nursery for Twins



A little over two years ago we welcomed twins into our little family of three.  We were still living in our two bedroom, basement apartment in Iowa, and we brought the twins home from the hospital to pack-in-plays in the living room.  Six months later we moved to Colorado and lived in my brother-in-law and sister's basement and the twins slept in pack-in-plays in the basement storage room.  So when at last we moved into our this, our first home, it was pretty much bliss to set up two cribs in a Nursery.   Now, since one of the twins was my first (and who knows, maybe only?!) baby girl I went ahead and painted the nursery pink.  I'd already done the boy nursery theme when my oldest was born, so it was time to have my girlie one. Her twin brother doesn't seem to mind too much, and we make sure he always has green blankets - no pink. ;)


I went for a fairly traditional feel, using lots of older things that were passed down to me - things full of sweet memories and reminders.




 This little clock was my mother's which she received as a cherished present on her fifth birthday.  The piggy bank was mine and the Ginny doll was my Grandma Doris's, who gave me my first Ginny doll was always making me dresses for her. 



These sweet little Beatrix Potter figurines and books were given to me by my mother's natural mother when I was born.


 
And these little ladies were from my Memaw Schott's collection (the one who wrote all the letters).  She and I were mutual lovers of pink, and I adored this pink little gal with all my heart.
The ball of pink the corner is yarn my great-grandmother crocheted as something to keep her busy after she lost her sight.



 Here's a little nod to the sweet boy in the room, hanging with a pink Janie and Jack dress on a simple coat rack from Hobby Lobby, spray painted.  The old prints on the walls are ones my dad matted and framed and hung in my old nursery.



And in case you'd like to know: the wall color is Fairy Dust from Lowes (very hard to find the right pink, but we did it!)  The letters above the beds are from Hobby Lobby, of course, and are spray painted ivory.  All the furniture is second-hand.  Simple sheers and a pull-shade dress the window.




See more of our home {HERE}




20 comments:

  1. You did a great job decorating this nursery! It's so adorable. Love the secretary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful!!! So classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nursery is adorable! The pink looks similar to the one I used in my girls' shared room, although mine's a Benjamin Moore colour. Very hard to find the right pink with so many bubblegum versions out there! All of your vintage accents are perfect :)
    Lily from Birch + Bird
    ps...I couldn't leave a comment from our B+B blog, we need the name/url option for our self-hosted Wordpress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so beautiful and classic! Lovely lovey. And I love all of the meaningful pieces you included. Beautiful and timeless. LOVE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a sweet sweet room - my mom collected Ginny dolls! I'm so glad you included them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This room is beautiful! I especially love the green piece between the beds. What a great use for such a lovely piece of furniture!

    Your Memaw's little porcelain figures remind me of little birthday dolls my grandmother used to give us. I'm not sure who made them, but there was one for each year, and they came with a little birthday poem attached. They were precious, as are yours.

    I'm visiting from Melissa's party. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous nursery. stopping by from 320 sycamore. I love all of the cherished items in your babies room. Our nursery is done in handed down items too. I love it!
    xx
    misty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I love the pink color on the wall. Your cribs are beautiful. I love all your Beatrix Potter books and figurines. I guess I love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have boy and girl twins, 5 months old. I love the nursery that you made for yours! You and I have the same thinking- when I bought stuff for my twins' bedroom it was all girl stuff because I already have a 5 year old son, and he and his little brother will share a room in a couple years. So I didn't want to spend the money on stuff that I couldn't use in the future, so I got things that will work in the little-girl-room of my dreams someday! But like yours, my son has a green blanket and I didn't make their room really frou-frou, so he's fine for now! I love all the family pieces that you used in your nursery. Beautiful!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet Cailan ~ truly lovely nursery! We love seeing the "additions" since we were there and saw it live. :) I know the twins must just adore their room!

    Hugs!
    ~the TX aunties :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nursery is just precious! I love the colors you used and all of the memorable decor:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great pink. My favorite pink (we used it in our daughter's nursery in New England) has been the pale shade from Restoration Hardware--i think it's called "petal." It's rose without being pinky and warm in both daylight and lamplight...and never bubble-gummy.

    ok, sorry. don't get me started on colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really cute! I've been working on our nursery for my first baby girl due at the end of this month, so I know first hand how much love and thought went into creating it! I love the way yours turned out...such a fun and relaxing place, and meaningful too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful space! I love the green and all of the heritage you have in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where did you get your beds? My sister is having twins and she loved your room. She has furniture like the ones you have, but really wants to know where your beds are from. Please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. just found your blog through "what i love wednesday"...this nursery is absolutely precious. i love every part of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely nursery. I have twins as well so I always love to see other twin spaces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! You have twins too! There's just another reason to like you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just read again, looks like our little ones might be around the same age. Mine turned three in November.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete