Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ode to the Lampshade

Not really on the Ode part, but I am quite thrilled about what I discovered new lampshades could do for my bedroom.  I'd had the same pair for about ten years, and the shade on my side (bell shaped with nothing less dated than beads hanging on the rim) had broken and if you bumped it at all it would fall off.  It looked, in word, sad.  However, I mistook the ugly lampshade for an ugly lamp and was vainly considering how I might manage to buy a new pair of lamps.  That was silly. 


Fortunately, it finally it occurred to me to try on this dandy $15 burlap lampshade from Target.  And suddenly, I felt as if I had altogether brand new lamps!  Suddenly, my room felt fresh and lovely again.  And I must say, I felt quite smart and thrifty. :)

What around your home just needs an inexpensive little facelift to feel fresh and lovely again?

Here's what the rest of the room looks like.
On my side is the botanical book-page wall.



You'll notice in this pic the bed linens are different as they had a serious run in with my little man...and lipstick.  Hanging on the rails of my Craigslist four-poster is a little canopy I sewed together from napkins and hankies.



{Linking to Somewhat Simple , Just a Girl, and Funky Junk Interiors}

10 comments:

  1. I love the subtle country {i stress: GOOD country} shabby-chic look of your bedroom! The lampshades are great too. I love when the little things provide a nice little facelift! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely BEEutiful. i think i need to grab a couple myself and give my bedroom lamps a make-over. (did you know i have those exact same lamps?? we must be sisters...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet blog you have started here. I'm your newest follower! Hope you'll stop by and follow me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I love those lampshades...I think I have the same ones in my bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your lampshades! I also love the color and patterns you used on the bed...I am so inspired!
    Your blog is wonderful:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ruffled pillow shams! Would you mind sharing where you found those? First time visitor to your blog and Love, love it!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda! The cream sham is from a matelasse set from Tues. Morning and the yellow/tan ones are my Ralph Lauren treasures from Macy's - retailed for $70 a piece and I got them for 75% off. It was a very good day. :) Thanks for your sweet encouragement - So nice to "meet" you! - Cailan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally have that same lamp shade on a lamp in my living room. I love the texture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an old post for me to comment on, but do you have any idea what color that cream is above the beadboarding? Trying to find the closest one I can that matches. It lookes absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you mind sharing where the bolster fabric and the quilt/coverlet came from? I love the soft colors in this room..lovely!

    ReplyDelete