Monday, September 19, 2011

Botanical Book Page Wall



I've finally been giving my master bedroom some much needed attention.  
First on the agenda was to address the big wall above the dresser in a collage-type way. 
I loved this project because almost everything I used was thrifted.

My initial inspiration was this book I happened upon at the thrift store:  A Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.



It really is a lovely book, so I felt a little reluctant to tear it to bits until I found another copy just last week!
Taking it apart was really quite easy after that.  To get double pages to hang without tearing the middle, I simply used a knife to cut the binding threads that show up every few pages.  Like so...



The focal point of the collage (though purposely off center) is this thrifted mirror I found awhile back that used to hang by our back entry.




Then I added these second-hand frames, and a piece of gate iron from New Orleans. The gold frame was very dull so I spruced it up with a bit of Rub-n-Buff.



On the other side I have a pair of Wallace Netting photos my parents gave when we got married. This one is "Honeymoon Drive".  The other is "Honeymoon Windings".  



Just for fun, here's a before picture of this same wall.



And "After".



Liking a little more personality, whimsy and lovely on the wall.  
Hope to show you the whole room soon!




28 comments:

  1. What a pretty wall! The items all go together so well.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative and gorgeous wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have that same book--I loved it. Loved it, loved it. This is beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous friend and I have been talking about doing a wall in our house with old newspapers. This is better.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I loved this! And thanks for sharing! My mom had this book while I was growing up and it's lovely to see it put to such tasteful use. Come on over and see a Boudicce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, its beautiful! the frames on the wall just add so much character. You did a wonderful job!
    your blog is so cute, I'm going to take a look around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from Tip Junkie - this is so beautiful! Love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much indeedy for all the kind feedback, Ladies! You're all so sweet - it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks dreamy! It's beautiful! I'd love to have you link it up with Creative Me Monday at The Southern Institute. You can link up all week long and the link is:

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/09/creative-me-monday_18.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    Hope to see you there!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I love this look! Visiting from Show and Tell @Blue Cricket Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so great and just my kind of style. I am going to have to remember this when I finish my one of my guest rooms. We are new empty nesters and have two new rooms to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, I love the look of this wall. I have some wonderful Audubon Society calendar pages I've been saving for 'something'. They might look great hung on a wall like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it... you have the best ideas! I would have never thought to use book pages and I love the frames:). It truly looks lovely!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so whimsical! I love it! You are so creative!!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so well done!! I love it. I would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/09/bedazzle-me-monday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love this idea. How beautifully simple. I have some amazing old flower books.. And I have a blank wall.... I found you on life made lovely home..... Love heather.... Your home is wonderful and you have a great style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That wall looks fabulous! I need to do this on my bedroom wall, now I just need to find a book to use!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful idea :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    WELCOME :)
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my... it's beautiful! I never would have thought to do that with book pages... I've seen them on the wall before but never like you've done, so pretty!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's absolutley nostalgic and beautiful! (new follower here ♥)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm totally in love with your wall, such a beautiful idea, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty and very creative! It is absolutely super!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have that book - what a wonderful way to enjoy it's beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did you hang the pages? With nails? Found the book the other day at an Antique Show (haggled him down to $3.00!!)!

    ReplyDelete