Monday, March 5, 2012

For the Things They Say

As anyone knows, talking little people tend to say the sweetest and funniest things.  Well, we have three talking little people in our home, and it was high time I did something about safe-keeping all the dear things they say.  This is me, almost always very behind.

Anyway, I finally did get my act together, and  I made this little memory box with index card filing.
(please pardon the pictures, I took half of them at night, so my lighting is all over the place)


With this system it's easy to add new sayings, even ones that happened awhile back and keep them in order.   I also love that you can grab out all of just one little person's sayings at a time and go through them now and them, such as on a birthday.

The project was inspired by this old recipe box my mum had.  She kindly passed it down to me the other week.  I love the antique, loved look of it, and it makes it pretty and appropriate looking out on the kitchen counter.   These sort of boxes are plentiful on ebay.


However, I found it impossible to track down index card filers.  The only ones I found had the alphabet on them, so I made my own, using regular file folders, and cutting them to size (you'll want to make the tab part smaller too.)


Of course, they needed to be pretty-fied a bit.  The paper pickings were rather slim at our Michael's, but this one struck me as rather Anthropologie inspired. ;)


Out came the Modge Podge.


And covered them all up. 


Then I got out my typewriter stamps.


 And cut out a little name label from the file folder.

 

And glued it on like so. 


Finally, I recorded some of the sweet things they've said lately, putting the date, name, and age of the kiddo just in case they ever got mixed up. 


And there you have it.  Hopefully this will inspire you as a nice, easy way to treasure all the sweet things they say.
They are just too precious to forget.




Happy Monday : )

love, cailan



21 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT idea!!!
    I lvoe each and every part of it.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I HAVE to do this! What a great idea Cailan!! Thank you for your inspirational ideas...as always:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had done this when my kids were babes, a great idea, saving it up for grandkids, one day, hopefully.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! My Mom often talks about how she wishes she would have done something like that! Good that you can inspire other Mom's to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run a "lately said" column on the blog which i change out pretty often, as lots gets said. But when I change it, I have to copy and paste the quotes into a document with names and dates so I don't lose them. Your version is so much cuter! Very You. :) Can I say that to a friend I've only "inter-met" ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! I'm already forgetting some of the cute things my boys say and wish I had it recorded somewhere. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a great idea! i love it! my little people are constantly saying things i need to write down :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful idea!!! I'm going to have to make one too.

    You're so right, kids do say the cutest things and we tend to forget quickly. Great way to preserve memories.

    I'm going to try and find a beautiful recipe box too :)

    Check out my blog too :)
    thediydreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect idea! I've been recording things our kids say on the computer, but I love the idea of the box. Now I need to find one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea! I have random bits of paper all over my office that need to be better taken care of, so I think I am going to be using this idea very soon!! Thanks, and I love how you "prettified" it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this idea! Pinning it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you inspire lots of Moms to follow in your footsteps.
    Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so special and just precious! Plus it is sooo cute as well! love the paper ! Would love for you to link up to our link party at Uncommon! Bonnie :)

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have little ones anymore, but this is so precious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Pinned it. Can't wait to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI! Visiting from tt&j.. this is so sweet! I just 'awwww'ed my way through this post! So so cute! Ill have to do this for my kiddos ;)

    Im going to poke around your site a little more. I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww... this is worth doing and worth seeing after 20 years maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too bad I didn't do this with my own kids... but I'm SO doing this for the grandkids!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing this cute way of doing it. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete