Monday, April 4, 2011

Sneaking Some Summer

I think I've only ever made about 2.5 pies, but for many years tarts have been a constant part of my existence.  I love making tarts because (1) Tarts are easier than pies but seem so elegant  (2) the Crust requires no rolling - just press it in (3) the Crust is superb - almost like shortbread.  I made this tried-n-true recipe yet again for company on an extraordinarily beautiful, real-live, so good-you-could-taste-it summer day that somehow snuck it's way into April.  The next morning it was cold and snowy, but the memory of that sunny day with this lovely tart is quite sustaining. ;)  Make it today and sneak yourself a taste of Summer.



Recipe for Strawberry Dream Tart

Crust

1 1/4 cups flour
2 - 3 T. sugar
1/2 cup butter, well chilled or frozen 30 minutes
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 T. very cold water

1.Preheat oven to 375. In food processor combine flour, sugar.  Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Combine egg yolk and water.  Gradually add to flour mixture and process until dough just holds together. 
2.Press dough into flat disk and press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.  Line crust with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
3. Bake until edges are slightly browned, 15-18 minutes.  Remove pie weights and foil and continue baking 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove pie weights and cool on rack.

Lemon Cream Cheese Filling

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 pound strawberries, sliced

1. In food processor, process cream cheese until fluffy.  Add lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar.  Process  until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
2. In medium bowl, whip cream to soft peaks.  Fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream.
3. Place 1/2 of mixture in prepared pastry.  Layer sliced strawberries over cream mixture and cover with remaining half of cream mixture.  
4. Chill 3-5 hours.

If you want to be an Over-Achiever: Arrange 1 pound whole stemmed strawberries, pointed ends up, over entire tart.  In sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup currant jelly over low heat and stir in 1 T. triple sec or Grand Marnier.   Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent film from forming.  Spoon or brush jelly mixture over strawberries and Chill.  Note: I rarely do this extra bit, and it's still wonderful.



See Today's post {HERE}




15 comments:

  1. that looks delish....thanks for the recipe!!!

    april

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just beautiful and absolutely yummy! Does the crust have more than 1/4 cup of flour? Seems like an easy recipe and can't wait to try it!
    ~Lavin Gals

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so not good in the kitchen, but i think i can pull this off. i sure hope so, cause it looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks sooo yummy. I love strawberries and anything that qualifies as dessert. Great pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh goodness, i am so saving this recipe! it looks amazing - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, i am book marking this....it looks delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks divine. I will be trying this one for sure! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. um, yes please!! thats looks amazing! thanks for sharing, it is a must-try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so yummy!! definitely adding it to my "to make" list!

    found you through Serenity Now!
    ~meri

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks so light and delicious I'm tempted to leave work and make it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your link at Centsational Girl and I had to click on something that looked so yummy! I love tarts, too, and it will soon be strawberry season here. I would go the over-achiever route myself because I love a little "grandma" on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks soooooooooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo was showing me the pics of the tea party which I love and then I saw this recipe....oh my ...she said it was wonderful and I can't wait to make it for my family!

    ReplyDelete