Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I See a Red Door...


 ... And I want it painted Black.


Now, I didn't start out wanting a black door.  A couple weeks after moving into our home, I painted the then violet colored shutters and front door this rusty red color (Mark Twain Brown}. Though it was a vast improvement, for awhile now I've been a little tired of the red.  One major problem with the paint wasn't the color, however.  I'd very unsmartly got the paint in a flat finish, which made for a constantly dusty, dirty-looking door that I couldn't very well wash off.   That was silly.  Here was my door before. 



 So I got this dandy little can of Black Gloss from Lowes.  
And a paint-brush (a smaller one would have been nice for painting around the handle and such, but I just made this big ol' one work). 



I painted it last Saturday, putting it down as a very relevant and necessary part of my Easter preparations. :)  It is very glossy!  Perhaps a semi-gloss would have been the way to go?  Obviously I have paint finish issues.  But overall (and despite the frosted oval window I'll never be too fond of) I like it very much. 





I also sprung for a new door mat from Target - I think it was 12.99?  That green with the black are making me quite happy.

 


 Here it is with a bit of the red shutters so you can see how the door pops now all stately like.



And yes, the box-woods are having an outdoor day. :)



See more of our home {HERE}

17 comments:

  1. I love the black! You did great! Do you plan to paint the shutters too? That sounds like a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! and the black shutters - fabulous idea... I especially liked how the porch light/lamp and the wrought iron chair match. Beautiful work, sweet friend!
    ~Jaimee & Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. That door indeed pops now that you've painted it black! What a difference! I've been thinking of painting our red door (here when we moved in last year) and black is my color of choice. You've inspired me :) Thanks for sharing at SYS linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I followed your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black looks great! and matches perfectly with your porch decor. I'm visiting from Just a Girl's party and I'm you new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on. Funky Junk Interiors. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

    Take care
    Tine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wanting to paint mine from a barn red to black too, love seeing how great yours turned out. Love the welcome mat too!
    I'm also your newest follower! Hope you stop by as soon as you have a minute:)

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the black! Such a great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, found your blog through Centsational Girl. I love your door and it is inspiring me to paint my door as well. Thank you for sharing. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really like the black! it does pop out more now! i hear ya on the finishes, i never know! it's difficult to know exactly how shiny it will be until it's done, then it's blinding you with reflectiveness! sheesh. your door isn't doing that though, i don't think it's too glossy at all. it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks great! i love the contrast of the black-really updates the whole space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the black! It's such a great classic look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I *really* want to paint my door black -- did you do anything special to make sure it doesn't chip?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I soo love the black!! I painted our door a navy black too- love the way it looks! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered NEst Friday at my blog~going on all weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our front door needs some love, this turned out so pretty! How clean and welcoming, love it! I am a new reader, creating over at http://www.twelveoeight.blogspot.com/ - Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I'm adoring the black door with that Target mat. Perfection! And so elegant. Though, I do have a black door thing ...

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete