Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old Letters on My Desk


On top of my little writing desk sits an apothecary jar, filled with my Grandma's old letters. 

 


She was such a faithful letter writer and saved boxes and boxes of letters.  Here is one she wrote to my sweet Grandpa while she was away visiting her mother.



Her handwriting was exquisite.  And I love how she addresses it "Dearest Husband" - so sweet. They'd been married about 25 years at this time.




Inside the envelope was the letter from my Grandpa she was replying to.  I adore how it looks like such a man's letter - scrawled out and the page indelicately ripped from a some book, but written with love all the same.




I love having these sweet reminders of my grandparents near at hand. 




Now to sit write a letter myself ... perhaps as soon as I finish these tax reports (sigh).



See More of My Desk {HERE}




5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of putting them in apothecary jars... now we know what was in those! truly beautiful way to preserve these keepsakes. and the writing looks like yours, dear!
    ~Jaimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious treasure! And I love your idea of you putting them in an apothecary jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post!! I love the shot of the letters in the apothecary jar. :) Letter writing is such a lost art. I used to write letters abck and forth with my grandma before she passed away. Thanks for the reminder!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. If you could add a link back to me too, I'd really appreciate it. Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time at your blog and I love the idea of putting letters into apothecary jars. The only thing I worry about is that sunlight will damage them. I might make copies and put them into apothecary jars though. I have many letters from my grandmother and grandfather that I would love to display. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete