Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Fresh Mantel for Summertime

 So, Ms Layla is having a Summer Mantel party and truth be told, I haven't gotten into fussing much over my mantel.  
But a Summer Mantel Party is just the motivation I need.

So I challenged myself to use only what I had on hand, squeezed the creative juices out, and this what I got.


It helped immensely to start by removing everything off the mantel that wasn't semi-permanent - leaving just the poppy picture and the clock, the rest was a clean slate. Then I collected all the green and blue old hardcover books (because books are one thing I have plenty of) and piled them up, turning some forwards and some backwards.  


And I made this little bit of bunting to go in this old frame, because bunting is just happy.
(Just like I made this bunting, except this time I just sewed the triangles together straight across the top, without the bias tape)

 

Then I added some random blue, green and neutral accents.
(all thrift store finds except the b&w print)




And you know what?  I had fun fussing over my mantel.  It was a good exercise to just clear it off and start fresh, using things I already had around the house.



Three cheers for motivating parties!


See the more of the Family Room & my No-Sew Curtain Tutorial {HERE}





11 comments:

  1. it's fresh and happy looking, Cailan. I really like your picture (the one to the right of the clock).
    Sending hugs your way!
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look. It's really beautiful. It's amazing that you just used what you already had too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this classic look. The books really bring it all together but there is so much to look at. Love the aqua mason jar and the banner across the frame. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of your mantle. I see you have a gurgling fish jug! I have a few of these and just love them.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are simply amazing, sister. good work! love the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mantle loves stunning! It could never compare to mine which is just blah....I love how you used the books and just a frame, I hope you will come share this at my party and now I need to take a look around your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply lovely. I love that it doesn't look so "decorated", but more looks like a nice collection of loved items. The little bunting is the icing on the cake for me!

    I hope you'll come link to the A2D Sunday Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantel looks awesome! I really love how you decorated with the books.
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh so cute! i love, love, love the big stack of books. i need to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uhmmm... I have to say that I am your newest stalker. haha! Your mantle is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

    Heck - for that matter - your blog is!!! Thank You for letting me hang out here!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete