Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lovely Closet Project - DONE


You may have thought that I was about through with this front closet... ready to move on to other parts of my home.  
Well, I wasn't.  Not quite.   
Something about this closet keeps drawing me in to keep after the vision I began with.  Part of the draw has certainly come from my hope to make my home both orderly and lovely, but part of the draw to this closet was the safety to experiment with a small, behind-closed-doors {easy to hide} space.


 I mentioned before that I wanted to paint the closet as we never did when we moved in. I also wanted to try my hand at some stenciling.   Like I said, this was a nice, little safe place - good for trying something new without the fear of making a mess!

 I picked up this stencil with my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.  



Now I will not say that it was easy to work with.  The instructions say to spray the back of the stencil with adhesive spray - well I didn't read that until I was ready to start painting, so I made do with masking tape.  But I don't think the adhesive would have made it that much easier.  The instructions neglect to say how to manage corners, which proved very tricky.   Again, I was very glad to be in a small inconspicuous place.  It wasn't impossible, but I would be wary to try "out in the open" esp. where corners wouldn't be covered by furniture or curtains...

I used this little, high density sponge, roller kit from Lowes, which I originally {and still do} intended to use for painting bath and laundry room cabinets.  It worked quite well.



A few hours and a bit of sweat later, I ended up with this.



And...just to remind you from whence we came - here's the "Before" picture from way back when I first confronted my poor, neglected front closet.


Yes, we've come a long way. ;)

And the "After".



Something about the hidden surprise of those colors and the pattern just feels meant to be.

It's making me pretty happy.

And now, I think I can say with confidence that
the Lovely Front Closet Project is officially D.O.N.E. :)



See more of our home {HERE}





34 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. LOVE!! Wow. So inspiring! I will be copying you in the near future. Amazing!! Lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet transformation! Such a pretty closet and I love that trench coat you have hanging up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I did something similar in my kitchen pantry, but you're right I love opening the doors and being greeted with something so cheerful and organized.

    Beautiful stenciling job too!

    Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Love the stencil. I've been itching to try a stencil project...haven't done it yet. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link up party going on right now over on my blog. :) (I'm a new follower, cute blog!) :)

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hands down the most beautiful closet ever. if i were you i would take out the coats, set up a little chair and a lamp, shut the doors and camp out. Good work, sister! You are welcome to come on down the street to my house and do the same in mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stencil looks great and I love the bird pictures up the top.
    Visiting from Primp
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS! I am so impressed by this! What a fun surprise to open your closet to this! I love it!

    By the way, I am hosting my first link party, and would love to have you link this up to it--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is fan.flippin.TASTIC! I LOVE it! Great color choice, great pattern choice and great accessories. HOME RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous!! I'm featuring this next week on Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun, not the same old boring needs to be hidden dirty closet wall! I love your oversized mirror where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I have to find that stencil! I love your closet! The before and after pictures makes it that much better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is so gorgeous! I love the pattern and colors that you chose! Stopping by from the Show and Share

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! Love that little surprise of color and design!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wowsers, you did such a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss Cailan...you are delightful...I would have never thought to transform my closet into something of beauty..maybe someday in the future I will give my large pantry a renovation:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is indeed lovely! I love the stencil. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much indeedy for all your lovely, kind comments! And Dear L, I got the oversized mirror at Pier 1 but about two years ago... don't know if they still sell them, but you never know! I do love how substantial the frame is - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that is one pretty closet! I'm glad that you were so straightforward about how tricky a stencil can be. I haven't tried one yet, but it's good to know! Love the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow if your closets look that amazing, your house must be incredible! What a great job. You made me look at closets in a whole new way. Thanks for sharing.

    Krista-Artista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love this! It's like a fun surprise whenever you open the closet door.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautifully organized closet! I love this...super fun and I imagine you would want to keep the doors open all the time! Lovely!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally awesome! I am in love with how it turned out. I have been wanting to try a stencil in one wall of my bedroom. Sort or scared though :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really cute idea!!

    http://canyouseethebeauty.blogspot.com/

    :*

    ReplyDelete
  25. I featured this on my blog:
    http://cinsarah.blogspot.com/2011/08/favorites-friday-82611.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so lovely and pretty! I love your blog. Very inspired by it! I will keep coming back!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful closet transformation! I used a Hobby Lobby stencil in my bathroom and it was not my favorite. The stencil I used for my cloffice was easier to work with. Those corners are tricky, yuck. I love your bird pictures above, so cute! Your closet is great, thanks for linking up with Roomspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What is the paint color in the closet and in your hallway? So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. lovely! i'm in the process of stenciling my bathroom ceiling..... which looks cool but is NOT the smartest thing i could've done.

    ReplyDelete