Monday, August 1, 2011

Ice Cream Party for 2 & 1/2 Year Olds

Over the weekend we celebrated our 2 and 1/2 year-old twins.  No, we do not think our children need more than one birthday a year!  But since their actual birthday is December 29th and nobody seems quite ready for a birthday party four days after Christmas, the last two years we've had a party for them on their half-birthday {or thereabouts :)} instead.  It feels a little odd, and I don't know if it'll fly when they get older but for now, it works and it's quite lovely to be able to be celebrate outside on a warm summer day.



Here's the little Ice Cream Party we threw.  I decided to do ice cream to make it a little less formal since we did have a little cake with singing and candles on their birthday in December {just no party or presents}.




It worked out superbly.


My greatest satisfaction with the party details was the colors.  I started with this little dress from Janie and Jack for inspiration.  


 
Then got the fabric for the bunting I showed you last week.  The fabric behind the table is actually a thrifted duvet cover my Sister found awhile ago. Perfect.
And the little man's bow-tie was made by my Sister out of left-over bunting fabric. Love it!
{And no, I did not force my little man to wear a tie on his birthday - by some happy chance my boys are actually excited to get to wear ties. I think they see it as their compensation for not getting girlie things like nail polish and purses :)}




It was quite fun finding foods and supplies that worked with the color scheme.


I'll post about the details, including a couple other little party projects and sources tomorrow... and more pictures, of course. ;)








My greatest dissatisfaction with the party came from the challenge of trying to both throw a party {i.e. manage and enjoy it!} and photograph a party... many hurried, blurry ones.
Does anyone else find this nearly impossible to do?
And though I tried prepare wisely and early I still ended up throwing everything on the table in the last ten minutes without as much thought as I would have liked.  Oh well.




It is worth considering why go to this amount of work for birthdays!  And honestly I do it largely just for the creative satisfaction of it - it's just very great fun to put together.  But I hope that if not fully now, someday my kiddos will look back at their childhood pictures and see that their mother counted it a great joy to make big to-do for them. 





Overall it was a happy, sweet time together.






And getting to see the happy delight on these two faces...




...that, of course, was the cherry on top.




See the Party Details, Sources & Lidded Mason Jar Tutorial {HERE}





25 comments:

  1. hi- have found your lovely blog through a *life made lovely*...

    this is just gorgeous- and i agree - i also do parties for my three kiddos for the creative satisfaction, as they'd be happy with a lot less i'm sure, but one day your two, as will my three, will look back on these days with so much happiness and hopefully show their children!

    melissa -miss sew & so
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... what a beautiful party. I so agree with you on the party deal. So much planning, running the show, then clean up... Yikes. Draining. But worth it! I love this. Happy day to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pictures! Great idea on the half birthday celebration. Both of my kids have December birthdays, one before Christmas and one right after... I might have to switch things up a bit and do the summer time party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok so im in love with this party and im in love with your blog!! :) its all just gorgeous! my little girls bday is Christmas Eve so we understand! :) look forward to following your lovely blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just too cute. I agree with the satisfaction of planning parties being a large part of the motivation. Your photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has the same birthday- Dec 29- her first birthday was last year and the day being so close to Christmas made it hectic indeed! Great idea with the 1/2 bday. What an amazing party- every detail adorable. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. splendid party. every detail is amazing. i came by from life made lovely. can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my...that bow tie kills me....sooo stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How Great Cailan!
    We have started doing the same thing for Zoie- her birthday is 4 days before Christmas- but thankfully her adoption was final on a nice summer July day- so we have started a bigger adoption day celebration.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute! love all the sweet details. and that bow tie is too much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is difficult to take pictures and host a party at the same time, but your photos are lovely! What a fun theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet party, and such adorable kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what cute little ones you have, it looks like they were thrilled with their party! All your decorations are very pretty. I think that's a great idea to celebrate the 1/2 birthday for those with a birthday so close to Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love all these sweet pictures, Cailan! what a lovely party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is beautiful! and a bow tie? I could just melt they are so cute. Great job momma

    ReplyDelete
  16. TWO CUTIES!!! Adorable Post! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a gorgeous party! I love the drinking jars too. I am throwing an ice cream party for my mom in the next few weeks and although my mother is a little older than your adorable twins, it gave me a bit of inspiration. thanks!!!

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you have a party for them on their half birthday. Such a lovely idea. Your twins and this party is adorable. Very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for your comment on my blog! i loved looking through your blog and i am such a fan! this ice cream party is to die! and thank you for the mason jar cups! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what an absolutely lovely party. i like that you celebrate on the 1/2 birthday - really gives them a chance to feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable!! LOVE the J&J dress. Such a fun idea for a 1/2 birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always seem to have the problem of not having enough time to take pictures....but I think you have some great photos here! Everything looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete