Thursday, October 13, 2011

Little Mirror Makeover



Today I thought I'd share about this mirror redo I did for our back entry.   Since I stole the cream one for my master bedroom collage wall.

Here's a rather inadequate "Before Picture".



Here the mirror was after I brought her home from the thrift store for $7.
She had that black speckled elm wood? look that I wasn't to fond of.

So I first painted on a coat of cheap acrylic paint I had lying around - mixed a little brown in with some black to tone down the black a little bit.


Then, with a piece of old t-shirt I rubbed on some of this fun stuff: Rub-n-Buff.
Have you used this before?  So easy!


As you can see I let some of the black show through 
to give it some depth and show off the lines.  

 

And here she is, looking quite fancy-shmancy.

I also replaced the table lamp with this floor lamp that grew up with me in my parent's home.
The chest of drawers felt too crowded on top with the lamp there...I might add a shade to the lamp. 

{And yes I need to do a better job hiding my tape holding the ribbon, and yes, I need to either get some Fallish pictures clipped up or do away with it altogether}

The pail serves to catch and hide all our phones and keys.




So as I've mentioned before this back entry is my problem area...
we'll just say it's a work in progress. 



And remember today is the Last Day to enter the giveaway for the Lollia lotion.

Click {HERE} to enter!






{Linking to Tatertots & Jello
Thrifty Decorating , Funky Junk Interiors, & Addicted to Decorating}


11 comments:

  1. WOW, what a beauty! Love the decor! Great job!
    I would love for you to link up this amazing mirror makeover today!

    Passionatelyperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures on the mirror like that. What did you use to do that?

    http://health4lifekc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! Thanks for the constant inspiration!
    Jacqui
    www.babyboybakery.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. we could be great friends! :) what a fantastic, cheap, easy, BEAUTIFULLY done project! love it! oh, and the other day, i found a vintage green suitcase at the thrift store just like yours for $1!! i totally thought of you! :) have a wonderful day!
    xo
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely LOVE this thrift makeover mirror! I too am a fan of the Rub N Buff - although I'm not nearly as clever as you and just apply it with my finger and end up resembling the tin man! Would love if you shared your greatness at the WWWW party!
    http://itstoilegood.blogspot.com/2011/10/whatcha-workin-with-features-and-better.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely project. I would love to find a mirror like that...so many places for just such a thing!

    Thank you so much for your comments on my blog. I'm glad to meet a new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a good job :)
    and do not miss...

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    WELCOME :)
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! I have a very similar mirror that I am planning on refinishing for my entryway. You can see it here (you might have to scroll down quite a bit):

    http://birdhousefamily.blogspot.com/2011/06/midland-antique-festival.html

    I was actually planning to goldleaf it, but I tried goldleafing a small item this weekend and it was a lot more work than I had anticipated. Maybe I'll try the rub n buff version. I bought some ages ago but never tried it. Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the mirror. But That's not all: The suitcase, the books, the clock.... it's all so wonderful. I have pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Meredith above. I like not only the mirror, but also the vignette on the chest! Featured you on my blog this week. Thanks for the inspiration!
    http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2011/10/get-me-motivated-monday_24.html

    ReplyDelete