Monday, April 2, 2012

Time for Carrot Cake


This weekend I knew some company was coming, so I baked a cake - Carrot Cake.  I really like Carrot Cake.  It's in my top three favorite cakes, and that is saying something.  I love this recipe - it's wonderfully moist, rich, and raisin-free, of course.  
Really, I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe before now, but it's just as well as now you can consider it for your Easter celebration.  Carrot cake always seems just right for spring.


This recipe has been long in the process of dedicated refining.  I started with a basic recipe for a sheet cake and experimented with whole-wheat, which I actually prefer because it gives it a slightly nuttier, richer taste and is a bit healthier I suppose than white.  A friend suggested adding the crushed pineapple (you can just barely taste it), so I cut down on the sugar and oil (don't worry it's still very, very moist and rich and sweet! ).  Then I tried extra-light olive oil and changed up the frosting ratio.  Lately, I've been buttering and sugaring my 9" pans instead of flouring them and layering the cake without frosting on the sides.  It looks a bit prettier and more dramatic, esp. with the three layers I did this weekend.


Everyday Lovely Carrot Cake

Cake:
1 1/4 cups oil (vegetable or extra light olive)
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
3 cups shredded carrots
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground allspice
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Cream oil and sugar.
2. Add eggs, carrots, and pineapple and mix well.
3. Mix dry ingredients and add to carrot mixture, a small amount at a time, beating well.
4. Add nuts and vanilla.
5. Divide between 3 buttered and sugared 9" cake pans. Bake at 325 for 15-20, until toothpick tests done.  However, I usually just do two 9" cake layers and bake at same temp for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Beat butter and cream cheese until blended.
2. Add sugar a little at a time. Beat well.
3. Stir in vanilla and spread on cooled cake.

If you want to frost the sides of cake, you'd want to double the recipe. : )



Hope you enjoy. : )

love, cailan


Other Sweet Recipes {HERE}



9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIster, you should try to take prettier pictures next time...sheesh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, but I don't see how much carrot to use. Am I overlooking it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mama!!!
    That cake looks and sounds so, so good.
    Your photos are gorgeous.
    I can't wait to try it!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredible. My fiance loves carrot cake, so I may be giving this a try soon!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I'm seeing carrot cakes & carrot cupcakes a lot lately, and I've been wanting to make a carrot cake this spring. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration. I love your three-tiered cake with the frosting on the top and middles only. Very unique.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty sure even if this cake tasted like laundry soap i'd eat it. it's too pretty not to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put in a can instead of a cup of crushed pineapple...yikes!! What to do now....doesn't look like its baking :/

    ReplyDelete