Sunday, February 5, 2012

XO Valentine's Mantel


So this is my first time in our six years of married life that I decorated for Valentine's. 
About time, yes?  The "holiday" does seem to be here and gone before I know it, but it certainly deserves some attention.  Since I didn't do much with our mantel since taking down Christmas, I thought I might as well valentine it.

I did a little "xo" theme.



This little cone book page wreath is my favorite part. Can't believe I haven't made one of these before.


I kept up my frames, and just worked with them.  The same frames that first went up when I put together a Fall Mantel.


And made them work for Christmas too.


 And now we have my "xo" Valentine's Mantel.
I tried to keep it as simple as possible - the last thing I need is more holiday decor to pack away when we move!  Also didn't spend much - just glitter and 99 cent wooden letters from Hobby Lobby.  Sticky tack keeps the letters and hearts up :).




I can't believe I haven't made a cone wreath before.  It was so easy and quick to make.  Granted I wasn't too scientific about it - don't look too closely, it is a little wonky, but it's got character, I tell you. ;) Didn't use a tutorial just started hot-gluing some cones and gluing them round a cardboard circle.  Perhaps I put together a little tutorial, but it really is pretty simple.


I tore up an American Poetry book my husband said he didn't want.  Just realize the words "rage" and "ecstasy" are on one of the hearts below.  wow.  Pretty intense sentiments going on here!

 



So there you have it. A little Valentine's day cheer to start out your week.
Hope it's a bit lovely.
xo, 
Cailan

34 comments:

  1. your background with your frame collage is so neutral it can go with anything...even valentines! yeah! looks great! i'm not a big v-day decorator either, but i did do a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cutest valentine's day mantel I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it all!
    Red glitter, old books, garland!
    It's perfect.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute V-day mantel!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable Valentine's mantel!! I love that you keep the frames and basic layout the same and just switch the seasonal decor up a bit. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did such a great job!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your mantel! It is so simple, yet so festive! I love simple decor, like you said, so much easier to pack up when you move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh I really like that!! I love that you always keep the empty frames, and then just embelish them

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just great! I love your mantle decor in the first place, and the themed little additions make it look even prettier! I also like that you decorated for Valentine's and kept it looking tasteful--beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! especially the cone wreath. Truly darling with the sparkly heart in the center.
    ~Jaimee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mantle is gorgeous! The empty frames are a great idea!!! Would love for you to share this at my linky party:
    http://creatingyourhome.blogspot.com/2012/02/make-it-yourself-monday-no-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it! I bought a bunch of decor last year on sale and still haven't put it up...I still have a few days..lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO CUTE! What a great way to change it up for Valentine's day. Super classy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea, Frames with nothing inside, really gives you a backdrop for the special occasion decorating, I love it!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your V-Day mantel... might seriously be the prettiest I've ever seen!! I’d love for you to share this with my readers at my first ever Flaunt! it Friday - Link Party. Come flaunt the skills your momma gave ya! http://www.queenofthecreek.com/2012/02/flaunt-it-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this! So pretty! I love the empty frame thing. Saw you on the weekend wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SOOO sweet! Those x's and o's are cute:)I would love for you to come link up at my party going on till Monday night!
    Kim
    http://too-much-time.com/2012/02/get-schooled-saturday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. The glitter, the hearts ahhhh!!! LOVE!

    Hope you'll come link this up at our first ever linky party!
    http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/spotlight-saturday-1-our-first-linky.html

    Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! I like the way you are using the frames!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such cute decor! (I'm a frame girl, myself.) Loving the arrangement and original frame colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice! I like how you've got the mantle "decorated" and then you just replace the little accents for each season or holiday! That makes it so much easier to decorate!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow it looks great i would love if you have the time to link up to my new party starting today at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not sure if dressing up the house for Valentines Day is necessary. We have hearts everywhere, yearround, and it looks therefore 'lovely' yearround. I guess I prefer this...

    ReplyDelete
  24. That may be "simple" decorating but it's also simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So darling!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete