Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a garden delivered to my door


We subscribed to our local CSA.  It was our first time to do anything of the kind, so I did not know what do expect and was certainly not prepared for the vegetable bounty that was delivered to our doorstep this week.  It was all so Beautiful. 



I admit I am mostly smitten by the romance of it -  bags of vegetables just picked from the garden, sitting on the front porch of my house in a small town in the Midwest.   Everything was so fresh, and natural, slightly dirty and dewy.   Really, who could not be charmed by these fingerling potatoes?




And these little carrots are right out of my provincial dreams. 



 There was also arugula, red, yellow and purple tomatoes, sweet potato, garlic, red onion, squash, peppers, and the most amazing Grecian mixed greens.


This evening I roasted the fingerlings, carrots, and red onion and used this recipe I found on Pinterest.  Fresh herbs always feel like a splurge to me, but if you can find a "poultry pack" at the store it includes thyme and rosemary - so you kind of get two for one.  It is completely worth it.  Our house smelled so good, and it tasted even better.   I left my carrots and potatoes whole, because they looked so lovely and rustic that way, and served it with my favorite roast and gravy...I'll have to post that sometime.   Planning on trying this recipe to use the arugula tomorrow - can't wait.



I most certainly hope that a garden of my own will fit into life one day, but for now this is quite nearly just as good.

For those of you who may not know, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  It's a lovely way to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.  Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables or fruit.  Interested households purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce weekly or semi-weekly throughout the farming season.  And it is delightful!

with love,

cailan




5 comments:

  1. This is my favourite way of cooking root vegetables. You get the best flavour and it's so easy. Delicious with a roast chicken and easier/cheaper/healthier than a takeaway. It's my go to meal when I'm too tired to cook anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I roasted nearly the same collection of vegatables yesterday. I then put them in a large pot and added flour,chicken stock and lastly a piece of queso blanco cheese. It was a delicious soup. We love the roasted taste of the vegetables. Your's look yummy!
    Debbie (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, it really does look like a whole garden was delivered to your door! The recipe you linked to looks good, and I'm saving it for future reference. Your post makes me long for fall - it will be here soon... just takes a bit longer for us down south :-)
    love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those veggies are beautiful! I love roasted vegetables - one of my fall favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! We don't have a CSA where we live, but we a Co-op along the same lines. It's always so much fun to see what we get in our basket each week and then figure out what to do with it all! And my littlest person, who is admittedly not a fan of vegetables, will devour them in roasted form. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete